Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
The Splunk Detection and Monitoring Operations (D&MO) Senior Detection Engineer reports to the Director of Detection and Monitoring Operations. The role is based in San Francisco, San Jose or McLean, VA. This can also be a full time remote position. In this role, you will be responsible for developing security content supporting the 24x7 monitoring operations, and response to cybersecurity threats. You will have a deep understanding of Information Security principles and disciplines coupled with expert level knowledge of Splunk Processing Language (SPL), excellent development skills, and a continuous desire to learn and grow. We are a passionate team who has fun, enjoys a good laugh but above all else thinks security first.
- You will use your deep Splunk expertise building correlation searches from scratch to detect cybersecurity threats
- Draw from your industry expertise in understanding how an attacker would behave and translate it to custom security detection content
- Engage with other teams to ensure detections are working as intended
- Identify and prioritize new data sources and their applicability to the detection of advanced adversaries
- Lead efforts to ensure data sources are compliant with Splunk’s Common Information Model (CIM)
- Modify logic of existing detections to reduce false-positive rates, and align them more consistent with their intent
- Drive complex initiatives with key business partners to continuously improve visibility
- Ensure that security-relevant data is flowing to appropriate Splunk Data Models
- Map security content to MITRE ATT&CK Framework
- Understand & manage development backlog to ensure a steady stream of activities
- Conduct sprint reviews and celebration of successes for all items in the workstream.
- Collaborate across teams for training, development opportunities, and service improvement
- Provide mentorship for willing and able candidates looking to dive into security content development
- Capture development metrics in direct-support to executive-level briefings (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Ensure that all documents, workflows and processes remain accurate and up-to-date
- You have 8 years of experience as a SOC Analyst, Security Content Developer and/or Security Engineer
- Advanced Splunk Enterprise Security experience
- Deep understanding of Splunk Data Models
- Ability to build and interpret Splunk Processing Language (SPL) fluidly
- Ability to understand systems quickly, and translate understanding into logic to detect anomalies with the system
- You can lead people to think critically by guiding them without doing the work for them
- You have a passion for learning and a desire to enable the growth of others
- You possess a demonstrated ability to speak with people with varying knowledge in IT Security concepts and have the tailor your message to the audience
- You have a deep understanding of Incident Response framework, root cause analysis
- Capability to look at a process to identify opportunities for cycle-time reduction
- Advanced working knowledge of Cloud technologies
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and take-charge
- Ability and desire to think outside of the box for creative solutions to problems with the moxie to follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to see things through the customer’s eyes
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Eligible to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information security or related discipline is required or equivalent work experience
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.